As promised in my newsletter, for those of you who would like to try out my recipe for Soul Cakes, here is a photo of a batch I made this afternoon, ready to distribute to merry little Hallowe’en revellers tomorrow.
225g butter (8oz)
175g caster sugar (6oz)
3 egg yolks
225g plain flour (8oz)
225g fine oatmeal (8oz)
2 teaspoons mixed spice
100g currants (4oz)
A little milk to mix
- Pre-heat oven ton180C/375F/Gas mark 5
- Cream butter and sugar and then beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Sift flour and spice into another bowl and then add to butter, sugar and egg mixture.
- Stir in currants and add enough milk to make a soft dough, similar to scones.
- Roll dough out to about half an inch thickness and cut with fluted biscuit cutter.
- Mark each cake with a cross and place on a greased and/or lined baking tray.
- Bake cakes for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack and store in airtight container for up to five days.